This is my FAVORITE way to eat green beans, taught to me by a friend who was born and lived in China until she was about 40 years old. It is packed with flavor and absolutely delicious.
- Buy fresh green beans from the produce section. (1 pound will make one serving for a family of four. 2 pounds will give you enough for either a couple families, or to have a bit for leftovers.)
- 1-2 large yellow sweet vidalia onions, sliced.
- garlic (either 2 garlic heads or 2 Tbsp. of garlic), chopped
- Salt & Pepper
- Canola oil
(1) Take your green beans to a cutting board and line them up, 10-20 at a time, with the ends all pushed to the same height, and then cut off the ends. Flip the beans, line them back up, and cut off the opposite ends as well.
(2) Take each bean, and slice end to end in long lines (3-4 long, skinny slices to a bean pod). Place in a separate mixing bowl/plate.
(3) Repeat steps 1 & 2 until you're through the whole bunch.
(4) Pour enough canola oil into the frying pan to cover the bottom of the pan, and heat over high heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
(5) Place the thin onion slices into the oil & cook until softened and they become more caramelized.
(6) Next, pour the green beans over the top of the onions, and carefully stir and fold the green beans until all are moistened with oil. Then, top with a lid and leave to cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so (replacing the lid each time). The heat should stay on high heat. About 10 minutes into cooking, add in garlic and season with salt & pepper, and cook at least 5 minutes longer. Once the beans are a nice dark green color and softened, and the onions are all browned, remove from heat and serve.
I hope you love these as much as I do!!! Enjoy.