2 cups packed brown sugar (living where we do, I can't get brown sugar, so I substitute with 2 cups regular sugar and 2-3 Tbsp of molasses)
1 cup lard or shortening
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups quick-cooking oats
1 & 3/4 cups all-purpose* or whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
* If using self-rising flour, omit baking soda & salt.
- Heat oven to 375 F (approx. 190 C).
- Mix brown sugar, lard/shortening, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Place about 3 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet (I line mine with parchment paper).
- Flatten with the bottom of a glass that has been dipped in water.
- Bake until golden brown, 8-10 minutes.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheet and let cool on a rack.
MAKES ABOUT 7 DOZEN cookies, which will all be promptly eaten. :)
Thanks to Betty Crocker for the recipe- these are totally yummy!